Ex-libris (bookplate) - Saint George guild

Archive / Ex Libris Collection

Accession Nr.: ELT 92.236
Artist/Maker:
Nagy, Sándor (1869 - 1950)
Date of production:
ca. 1913
Inscription: NS
Materials: paper
Techniques: cliché
Dimensions:
height: 16,6 cm
height: 14,8 cm
width: 8,4 cm
width: 6,5 cm
The first modem collectors' association in Hungary was the St George's Guild, founded in 1909, which also had a graphic department. On the ex libris designed for the guild, there is a female figure, sitting on a throne, holding a statuette in her hand. Her head-dress and helmet is the silhouette of a famous medieval Hungarian sculpture, the St. George's statue made by the Kolozsvári brothers, that was also printed as cover page on several issues of the Gyűjtő (The Collector), the regular gazette published by the association.

Literature

  • Szerk.: Gellér Katalin, G. Merva Mária, Nagy Cecília: A gödöllőiek és a kisgrafika. A gödöllői művésztelep, 1901-1920. Gödöllői Városi Múzeum, Gödöllő, 2003. - 131. (Horváth Hilda)
  • Gellér Katalin: A szecessziós könyvillusztráció Magyarországon (1895-1925). Miskolci Galéria, Miskolc, 1997. - Nr. 67.22.
  • Szerk.: Szilágyi András, Horányi Éva: Szecesszió. A 20. század hajnala. (Az európai iparművészet korszakai.). Iparművészeti Múzeum, Budapest, 1996. - Nr. 9.325. (Horváth Hilda)